Within the Tollway region, there are two federally protected species of insect: Hine’s Emerald Dragonfly (HED) and Rusty Patched Bumble Bee (RPBB).
There are also three state listed species of butterfly and moth in the region: Ottoe Skipper, Eryngium Stem Borer, and Regal Fritillary, and 1 dragonfly, the Elfin Skimmer.
In addition to construction related surveys for threatened and and endangered species, we have ongoing research projects:
- Insect Surveys in the Tollway Region
- Creating a Plant-Pollinator Network
- Hine’s Emerald Dragonfly species distribution model and detectability analysis
- Rusty Patched Bumble Bee detection and foraging needs
- Eryngium Stem Borer distribution and phylogenetics
- Elfin Skimmer species distribution model
- Wetland macroinvertebrate communities in created habitats
- Using eDNA to determine dragonfly communities
- Checklist of chironomids, non-biting midges
- Noctuid moth diversity in sand prairies