In 2015, post construction, we conducted fish, mussel, aquatic macroinvertebrate, and bird surveys in the corridor and found:
For birds we conducted searches and circular plot counts and found
- 61 species of birds
- One state-endangered species, Osprey, at three locations
We used minnow seines and backpack electroshockers to survey.
In 2015 :
- encountered 46 of the 192 fish species native to Illinois,
- 3 state-listed species
>7 Gravel Chub
>1 American Brook Lamprey
There was no significant difference in species richness, community evenness, and species diversity compared to our 2012 samples
- encountered 45 species
- captured only 2 individuals of Gravel Chub
- encountered 3 American Brook Lampreys
- 4 species intolerant of poor water quality
For aquatic macroinvertebrates we
In 2016, we deployed acoustic monitors at 4 stream crossings
- recorded in May, July, and September.
- over 15,000 bat passes recorded
- 10,566 were identified by software
Nine species of bats were detected: Big Brown Bat, Hoary Bat, Eastern Red Bat, Silver-haired Bat, Little Brown Bat, Tri-colored Bat, Evening Bats, and 2 federally listed species: the NLEB and Indiana Bat.